Friday 31 January 2014

Goodbye January

The month has passed surprisingly quickly considering I've spent it on the same few miles of river.  The wind has picked up again this evening and the boat is bobbing around like a cork. All part of the fun of boating but I may need seasickness pills soon.  I've spent the last few days on the EA mooring at Littleport which is secluded but still only 5 minutes walk to the rail station which is on the outskirts of the town - apparently they built it here so it was next to the track.

Daybreak saw a thin mist over the river cloaking the scene in a eerie quiet as this lone dog walker passed on the opposite bank.


Mist over the River

Having collected the car I drove home to collect some tools and wood to build a couple of shelves inside the galley cupboards to make the space more usable.  I visited Houghton lock while passing and the lock is currently reversed to act as a weir.

Houghton Lock

Round at the mill both sluices were fully open making the normally tranquil mill pond suitable for kayaking on the far side.  Not a place to let the kids paddle today.

Houghton Mill Pond

Having seen the water levels at St Ives I doubt the river will be useable for at least two weeks, longer if we have any more rain. I have therefore decided not to try to get to St Ives on this trip - even if I made it I could easily be trapped which doesn't appeal.  I'll therefore spend the next few days in the Ely area and then early next week head back through Denver onto the middle levels to spend a couple of weeks exploring those drains I can get the boat onto. I will visit Ramsey for a few days and would be happy to see anyone who lives nearby call in for a cruise.  I'll keep the blog updated with progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment