Friday 3 January 2014

Bumpy water

After a bumpy noisy old night on the river I was looking forward to going through Denver and onto the middle levels to find a more sheltered mooring for the weekend.  I had booked to go through at 9:30 but was advised that it might be later due to the high spring tide.  By 10:15 with the tide falling I thought something was amiss and called the lock keeper who wasn't aware of my booking. He turned up 10 minutes later apologising for the mistake, which was unusual, and went to prepare then lock while I readied the boat.  The lock gate remained firmly closed and a the lockie explained there was an electrical fault and the lock was for want of a better word locked.  The duty electrician was called and after a couple of hours the electrician still hadn't solved it, the tide was falling quickly and the weather was turning nasty.  Not wishing to push my luck I decided to return to the visitors mooring to await better weather.

Choppy water at Denver


This proved to be the right decision as the wind really strengthened in the early afternoon and is still whistling around the boat this evening. The waves are lapping against the boat which is gently rocking.  As the forecast is pretty poor over the weekend I don't plan to move too far although I will head for somewhere a little more sheltered if possible in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment