Thursday 2 January 2014

A New Year

I saw in the New Year quietly with a wee dram while watching Jool's Holland's Hootenanny as I do most years.  I had moved out of Ely for a quiet night, only disturbed by unruly weather rather than unruly revellers.  I moved back to Ely on New Years day as I needed to stock up the larder having finally finished the leftover turkey and gammon joints. After another stormy night I woke to a calm morning with blue skies.  More rain is forecast so it's unlikely I'll be able to get to St Ives for a week or two so I've decided to make my way back through Denver and explore the middle levels for a few days while I wait for the Nene to settle down.

Ely
I left Ely mid morning on a sunny day with only a slight breeze to take the edge off.  The trip up to Denver was uneventful and took around 4 hours.  The highlight was capturing this photo of a  Cormorant on a power cable - another common bird on the river which has alluded me until now.

Cormorant

Journey's end is the visitors moorings at Denver sluice which are on the left.  The actual lock is directly behind my chimney with the lock landing on the right bank.  I'm booked through on the tide tomorrow morning around 9:30.  The tide will be quite high due to the strong wind due so I may be delayed until the water level falls to a suitable level to cross to Salter's Lode.

Arrival at Denver

No comments:

Post a Comment