Sunday 5 January 2014

Return to Ely

After checking with a few of my friends it appears the Ouse is running fast and high at Hartford and the Nene is onto the grass at the embankment in Peterborough, the kyaker's we're enjoying the course below Orton where the fall is only around a foot I'm told. Clearly not going back to Oundle for a week or two, particularly as there us more rain forecast.

I've decided to return to Ely to stock up on supplies and explore the smaller rivers off the Ouse.

When I opened the curtains this morning I was greeted by the sight of a fantastic dawn light through the trees across the river and found my camera just in time to catch it.

Dawn over Denver

As rain was forecast for the afternoon I set off around 8:00 with a frost on the roof and frozen ropes. It took almost 4 hrs to cover the 15 miles to Ely as I was heading against the flow which was running at about 2mph against me. Had a couple of stops en route to warm up by the fire and get the feeling back in my toes - I know I have thermal socks but must have left them at home.

On arrival at Ely I found a space, quite busy today, and popped into town. After lunch I tried out my new telephoto camera lens, a post Christmas treat, by chasing some gulls and am very happy with the results given it was a grey overcast day.

Expect to see more bird shots appearing on the blog. Particularly if I get down towards Wicken Fen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment