Monday 20 January 2014

Weekend in Ely

Well having returned to Ely and collected my car I picked up some more coal and logs to keep me going a little longer and then decided, after much thought, to invest in a generator to provide mains power and charge the batteries without running the engine. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the cheapest UK dealers is based at Bar Hill about 10 miles from my home and were selling the Honda EU10i generator for £740 which is cheaper than many on-line companies. I have considered solar panels which are obviously free to run and don't require one to keep petrol onboard but I would need 2 or 3 and I really don't want them cluttering the roof as I have to walk on it to operate locks being a single hander. On Sunday I drove into the fens to look at the water levels, which were very high around the main drainage ditches.

 

I also called into Prickwillow to see the famous vicarage. When it was built, in the 17th Century it had two steps to the front door. The effects of draining the fens caused the ground to shrink and fall as the water was removed and as you can see from the photo it now has 9 steps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment