Friday 17 January 2014

Ely to Earith and back

Yesterday I decided to cruise down to Earith to see how bad the river is for myself and make a judgement as to whether I thought it safe to navigate. I have been on the Thames in flood so have some experience to draw on.
The trip was very pleasant, the day was bright although a bit chilly at around 5c with the wind dropping that a degree or two. The river changes after Popes corner where the Cam joins and is much narrower and meanders through open fenland. At one point it passes through a pretty tree lined section with small lakes on either side. This offered a welcome respite from the wind.


A little further along I was treated to the sight of a sole Oyster Catcher and managed to snatch a quick photo while on the move.



On arrival at Hermitage lock at Earith I called in to chat with the lock keeper and assess the river. I explained that I had experience of rivers in flood and would consider heading up to St Ives unless he felt it really was unwise. However, as he pointed out that the next lock was "reversed", which is basically set partially open to allow water to run through and thus impassable by boat, I accepted defeat. And to be fair, on looking at the river I would be hard pressed to identify it in the wide expanse of water spread before me. I filled the water tank and spent the night moored on the lock landing.



This morning I decided that a return to Ely was advisable as the facilities at Earith are limited. I spent the morning cruising back to Ely and the afternoon working my way across to the marina by rail, bus and foot to collect my car. Resigned to another week in Ely I thought transport would be useful, especially as the trip will now extend into late February due to the closure of Stanground lock.
I am moored on the visitor moorings just outside the city which gives me a view across open countryside and, tonight, a rather splendid full moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment