Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Year's Eve

I have spent a pleasant few days moored in Ely. Had plenty of time to walk around the city and also have a short train journey to Cambridge for a little retail therapy although didn't find what I was looking for.  The rain eased off mid morning and shortly after lunch I headed upstream to find a nice quiet spot to see in the New Year without being disturbed in the early hours when the pubs empty.

Heading up the Gt Ouse
I had planned on moving onto the river Lark and stopping in the village of Prickwillow, just because I like the name.  However, just after entering the river I felt a spot or two of rain and looked over my shoulder to see heavy clouds rolling in.

River Lark looking back to the Gt Ouse
A few minutes later the heavens opened.  I quickly abandoned plans for Prickwillow and headed instead for an earlier mooring on the river which was only a few hundred yards away.  Never-the-less I was still soaked by the time I got moored up. However, I'm now changed and warm while my other clothes dry by the fire.  All settled for a quiet evening culminating in seeing in the New Year watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny with a glass of rather fine malt.

Happy New Year to all.

As the sun sets on 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment