Wednesday 18 December 2013

Christmas Trip - Day 2

With rain and strong winds forecast for the afternoon I headed off at first light to complete the 4 hour trip down to Peterborough. I spent the night moored just above Elton lock so the first task of the day was to navigate the lock which looked beautiful as the sun rose behind the trees. A chilly 3c as I set off but bright and dry which makes all the difference.


The morning progressed well passing through some beautiful open countryside on a sunny Winter morning.

 


The field next to Wansford lock sported a dozen horses and ponies which came over to say hello and were disappointed at the lack of sugar lumps and carrots (I'm saving the carrots for Rudolf).


The farmyard theme continued at Water Newton lock which was populated by a pair of bullocks (check spelling) using the lock gate beam as a scratching post. As a country boy myself I knew they were not a threat and hopped off to give them a stroke - I wonder how long a towny would have waited for them to move. There are signs at most locks asking dog owners to clean up after their pet, I think we need another covering bulls - although the owner would need a bin bag. Stepping carefully around the bovine obstacle course I managed to safely navigate the lock and return to the boat with clean boots.

I stopped at Ferry Meadows for a quick lunch which was more of a late breakfast since I went for the full English - good value at £5.50 with a field mushroom which almost filled the plate.

Whilst moored for lunch I phoned the Stanground lock keeper to arrange passage through the lock tomorrow to access the middle levels. Whilst he was happy to lock me through he did rather spoil my day by explaining that Salters Lode lock - which gives access to the river Gt Ouse at the other end was closed due to an electrical fault and was awaiting a spare part. I'll call the lock keeper tomorrow to see what the forecast is but if it isn't fixed by Friday I would expect it to be out until after Christmas if not New Year.

As I said at the beginning the plan was bound to fall apart at some point. If the lock is not open my cruise will be limited to the middle levels, which are basically drainage ditches with March as the only highlight. With this unwelcome news I continued on what should have been a short 3 mile leg to Peterborough with only Orton lock to navigate. Two hours later I had finally got through the lock. The lock would not fill completely and I soon realised the guillotine gate was not closing fully and thus letting water out. Opening and closing the electronic gate a few times didn't help and on fully opening the gate I found a log jammed on the bottom edge of the gate. After much prating about with a barge pole, trying not to drop the pole or fall in the lock, I finally dislodged the log and normal lock operation was resumed.

So here I am moored in Peterborough with gale force winds rocking the boat around contemplating Christmas in Peterborough or alternatively in the wilds of the fens - High six anyone?

However, nil desperandum, after all - Tomorrow is another day :-)

 

3 comments:

  1. as well as March you have Whittlesea and Ramsey, if you are low enough you could go round the 20ft. and right down to the end at Holme That should use a few days up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, there are some nice spots to visit on the levels. I'm a bit limited with an air draft of about 6ft which limits the routes I can use but certainly Whittlesea and Ramsey are possible. Need to check if I can wind a 55ft boat at Ramsey.

      Delete