Saturday 28 December 2013

Leaving Cambridge

I only popped into Cambridge to be able to tick off the river Cam on my list of waterways I have travelled. I know the city well enough and the mooring was quite noisy with a road nearby and Jesus Lock wier just above me was providing some turbulent water. The sun came out around 9:00 this morning so I set off down the river to head back to Ely. This is me passing through Bates Bite lock, one of two on this stretch of the river. Both are electrically operated with a guillotine gate at the upstream end and V gates at the bottom.

Between the two lock is the Cambridge Motorboat club, and just beyond it is the Cambridge Sailing club. Both looked suitably affluent with an array of well maintained boats and tidy premises.

Once through the second lock the river opens into wide expanses of fen with lots of waterfowl to be seen. I enjoyed a pleasant morning cruising back up to Ely. I was hoping to stock of on logs and coal but neither marina I passed stocked these. I may try Littleport on Monday and failing that will try a bit further afield.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment