Saturday 21 December 2013

Christmas Trip Day 5

Having moored up at the visitor moorings in March and topped up the larder at Sainsbury's I spent a quiet evening listening to the wind and rain lash the boat.  The weather was much better this morning with only a little drizzle and a gentle breeze.  I called the lock keeper at Salter's lode to book a slot for Sunday and am now scheduled to transit the tidal Ouse around 10:00.  Therefore today's plan is just a steady cruise through middle levels to Salters lode.

I left March and headed out onto the open fens. The sky looked ominous as the clouds gathered and the wind strengthened .



By midday I reached Marmont Priory lock just as the first rain shower arrived. Thankfully it passed quickly and by the time I cleared the lock it had passed.


The next stretch is quite shallow and therefore needs to be transited slowly.  For the next couple of miles the river meanders through the pretty villages of Outwell and Upwell which have imposing churches.


The villages also have one of the lowest bridges on the Nene-Ouse link route which I managed to ease under with a couple of inches to spare at the bows.


After leaving the villages the river continues across the open fens and the wind was now becoming a little too strong for comfort.  As you can see in this photo I had to aim the bows toward the right hand bank to counter the wind which was pushing the boat towards the left bank.   


After passing through the village of Nordelph I continued the final couple of miles to the sanctuary of the Salters Lode lock landing.  The rain came again just as I was pulling in and it was a slightly damp and windswept skipper that happily retired to the cosy warmth of the saloon.  


Despite the weather another enjoyable day aboard and a very pleasant few hours trundling through the Fens. 

1 comment:

  1. Give my regards to Paul the lock keeper, Brian on Narrowboat Harnser.

    ReplyDelete