Saturday 22 February 2014

Denver to March

Having spent the past 7 weeks pootling up and down the Ely Ouse today I began my journey back to the canals. I had booked passage through the Denver sluice onto the tidal Ouse and then through Salter's Lode lock onto the middle levels. I arrived at the lock around 8:30 and spent an enjoyable hour chatting to a live aboard boater with 20 years experience. A lovely old chap with a wealth of knowledge which I will try to remember.

The lock keeper arrived around 9:30 and kindly inform me that the flood water had created a few sand bars in the river and I was the first boat through since the new year.  He thought I should get through OK but wanted to send me on my way before high tide so that if I did run aground the rising tide would free me.  He also mentioned that there was a sand bar at the entrance to Salter's Lode and that I should keep an eye out for it.

So it was with a little trepidation that I entered the lock and sat waiting for the gate to lift and was soon on my way.
Waiting to leave Denver Sluice

Thankfully, the short trip of about 500 yds was uneventful and I was soon safely in the entrance to Salters Lode having avoided the small sand bank (I have posted a video on Facebook of my rather excellent approach to Salters Lode).  Having missed the sand bank the lock keeper asked if I would be kind enough to reverse up to it and then use full power to help shift it which I was happy to do, always best to keep in the lock keepers good books.

After passing through the lock I spent a pleasant 3 hours cruising along the middle level drains to March where I'm currently moored up for the night.  The middle levels are basically drainage channels through the fens and tend to be fairly straight with flood banks on either side which rather limit the view.
A typical stretch on the Middle Levels
 Although there are some delightful villages on the route which provide a distraction.
Entering the pretty villages of Upwell and Outwell

Tomorrow I will just have a short cruise up to Whittlesey where I'll stop overnight before heading on to Stanground lock and the river Nene on Monday.  With any luck I should reach Ferry Meadows on Monday afternoon and am already anticipating a rather good breakfast on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment