Wednesday 26 February 2014

Christmas Trip Completed

For some reason I woke around 4am and could not get back to sleep so by 5am I was enjoying my second coffee and sorting out a few little jobs I had been meaning to do.

By 7:30 the sun was over the horizon so I decided to make an early start as the forecast was good for the day with more showers due on Thursday and Friday.  Progress was slow initially as the river was flowing quickly but after a couple of locks it calmed down a little and I realised I would have time to reach Oundle today. The trip covered 19 miles and 11 locks, not a long day on the canals, but with the river against me and the fact that the electric guillotine gates make each lock a 20 minute job I expected the trip to take around 8 hours - which it did.

The day developed into beautiful spring morning but as the sun hid occasionally behind trees I was reminded me it was still February and quite chilly.


I spotted my first lambs of the year so hopefully spring is not far off.



Shortly after seeing the lambs I was treated to a stunning display of gliding by this beautiful Red Kite. Life afloat is liberating but to be able to soar like these birds do must be sublime. No wonder the Wright brothers wanted to fly.



So, after only 10 weeks my 2 week Christmas trip is complete as I return to my berth at Oundle marina.  I have a new neighbour on the left, a old working 70ft Butty currently being restored and converted to be a home for some lucky person.  A butty is an unpowered boat which is towed by another boat with a motor. In the haydays days of the canals these two together would form a "working pair" of two 70ft boats, a motor and butty, often operated by man and wife.



No comments:

Post a Comment