Saturday 15 August 2015

Changeable weather on the Gt Ouse

After replacing the rudder bearing on Tuesday I moored overnight at Godmanchester and then returned to St Ives on Wednesday ready to start the return journey.  

The forecast for Thursday showed possible showers throughout the day with heavy rain due in the evening. I set off towards Cambridge, a journey of 30 miles by river, which I didn't expect to complete before rain stopped play. I did well and as the drizzle got steadily heavier through the afternoon I decided to call it a day at the visitors mooring at Popes Corner where the river Cam meets the Gt Ouse. 

My new waterproof proved to be excellent and I'm sure I will come to live this item of clothing during the winter months. 

Friday morning I made an early start on the last 12 miles up the river Cam to Cambridge and to my surprise actually found a free mooring. The last as it happened so I invited the boat following me to moor alongside. For those who know the city the visitor moorings are just below Jesus lock alongside Jesus Green. 

Friday night was a little noisy as the mooring is alongside a busy road so I decided that after visiting the Rohan store and buying a couple of T-shirts on Saturday morning I'd move down to Ely which is usually peaceful. The weather was beautiful and the river quite delightful once clear of the city.



I reached Ely in the late afternoon to find the moorings full and chose to carry on a further 4 miles to Littleport where the was space available on the quiet moorings on the edge of the town. 


I'm now settled hear for the night and will continue up to Denver tomorrow ready to  pass through the lock on Monday.  




No comments:

Post a Comment