Wednesday 12 August 2015

Beginning of the return to the canals

After spending a lovely summer in home waters it's time to begin the journey back onto the canal network.

Yesterday I replaced the rudder bearing which, already worn, was completely ruined when I dislodged the rudder a week or so ago.  Thankfully the job was straight forward and with the help of Paul took only an hour.

I'm going to visit family for my nephew's wedding in the Isle of Man for a couple of weeks in September and have booked the boat into Oundle marina while I'm away. The plan is to have a gentle cruise back through Ely, possibly with a detour to Cambridge, and then back through the middle levels from Denver to Peterborough to catch up with my eldest son before going up the Nene to Oundle.

After the wedding and IoM holiday I'll make my way up river to Northampton and join the Grand Union canal.  I have no definite plans after that but am thinking of heading over to Stratford-on-Avon for a week or so.  Depending on conditions I might then go down the river Avon (one of many) and back up the Worcester & Birmingham canal which I've not done before.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, how the time flies, Luke is also getting married in July 2016, he lives on The Wirral and has a good management job at The Countess Of Chester Hospital. Hope you are well, really enjoy reading about your travels. Remember us to David when you see him.

    Max and Jane
    Harrogate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you both, time certainly does fly, Sharon got married last year and Simon the year before.

      Delete
    2. Good to hear from you both, time certainly does fly, Sharon got married last year and Simon the year before.

      Delete
  2. If you do take the Kennet and Avon right into Bristol, there is a good pub at Baltic Wharf called The Cottage Inn, great food and beers.

    http://www.cottage.butcombe.com/

    Max

    ReplyDelete