Friday 12 June 2015

Ely & Wicken Fen

After a month around St Ives moving only a couple of miles every few days I made the 23 mile 6hr trip to Ely. There are only 3 locks on this stretch and 2 of theses were faulty causing a bit of a delay. Doesn't really bother me but Mr Angry on another boat gave the poor lock keeper a hard time. Silly really as it's not his fault. After passing by Holywell and Earith the river meanders through open country until Ely. 


After spending a couple of days in Ely and taking the train to visit my son in Peterborough I was planning on staying in Ely over the weekend until I remembered that it is a 48hr mooring so I had to move on. I chose to head a few miles onto the river Cam and then travel down the very narrow but beautiful Wicken Lode through the famous Wicken Fen. Progress was slow due to narrow, shallow channel and the weed but well worth the effort for the views. 

I managed to catch a few pics of the local birds including an Oyster Catcher 

And a family of Great Crested Grebes. I love the cute striping on the chicks heads. 




No comments:

Post a Comment