Saturday 27 June 2015

About turn back to the Fens

I've spent the last 10 days between Peterborough and the peaceful Ferry Meadows. Although both last Saturday and today I joined my eldest son in the Parkrun, a 5k timed run for all abilities, even mine. While Steve galloped off like a marathon runner, which he is, I plodded along with the OAPs. I've run a couple before and am trying to get my time below 40 mins after which I may retire from running. Today I managed 41:13 which is 26 secs outside my best time of 40:47. I'm sure I'll soon shave off the last minute and get a sub 40. 


In my last blog entry I was planning a return to the canals but in the meantime my nephew has invited me to his wedding in September on the Isle of Man so I've decided to stay in the fens as it's easy to find a marina to leave the boat and catch the train to Gatwick to fly over. I'll use the opportunity to take a break from the boat and spend a couple of weeks with my brother and his family.


So today, after my morning run I had a gentle cruise back to Peterborough to fill up the water tank before passing through Stanground lock back onto the middle levels where I am now moored up for the night in March. Tomorrow I'm booked through Denver Sluice in the late afternoon so I'll have a steady cruise over there and then moor overnight at Denver before heading back along the Gt Ouse. I see another visit to Cambridge on the cards as well as a return to Huntingdon to sample a few more of the real ales served in the reopened Falcon. 

And I leave you with the stunning sunset over Ferry Meadows last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment