Sunday 24 August 2014

It's beginning to feel a bit like Autumn

Well yet another week has passed in a flash and the weather is turning noticeably Autumnal with the chilly wind from the north and the nights drawing in. It's already dusk as I type this blog at 8:30 and there is a hint of brown appearing in the riverside trees. I've even had the heating on on a couple of mornings as I tend to rise early, before the sun has had time raise the temperature.
 
I've spent most of the week in Huntingdon with a brief trip to Jones boatyard in St Ives to collect a new 12' barge pole to replace the one I snapped in Bedford. I also picked up a new gang plank from B&Q as mine was looking tired and needed replacing. A couple of coats of Ronseal should offer some protection from the elements.


The weather was quite bright on Wednesday so I headed up river by canoe to Godmanchester and explored a few small side streams on route. These offer some lovely tranquil paddling and looking at the picture below, it's hard to believe the A14 flyover is only a few hundred yards away.


On Thursday morning I called in to see Paul B for a coffee and spent the day helping him laying decking. It was thirsty work and a glass or two of Doom Bar helped keep up morale. A return trip on Friday saw the job finished.

The bank holiday weekend has been spent being fed by friends. On Saturday I had lunch with yet another Wyton escapee, Ella and her husband and today Paul and Debbie invited me to christen the new deck and join them for dinner too.

I'm now back in St Ives for a couple of days waiting for the weather to settle before moving on toward Ely.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment