Monday 18 August 2014

I seem to have bought a Ukulele

Nothing very exciting to report I'm afraid. I've spent the last week between St Ives and Godmanchester and caught up with a few more friends. This stretch of river is particularly pretty to cruise.

This thatched cottage at Hemmingford is in a beautiful setting by the river.

Even the approach to Huntingdon looks pretty as the trees mask the town. Slightly worrying to see hints of Autumn colours in the trees already.

On Friday I met up with Terri, Amy and Paul for lunch at Johnsons farm. Company and food excellent, although I would have preferred fewer screeching children. Must make sure the schools are back before our next visit.

While chatting about the Cambridge folk festival over fish & chips and a bottle of wine with Paul and Debbie on Friday evening the subject of Ukulele's came up. I decided to pop to Cambridge on Saturday to have a look in Millers music centre. Paul and Deb joined me and we walked into the store just as a Ukulele beginners workshop was about to begin. Debbie and I joined the fun while Paul per used the Sax section. An hour and half later we had mastered the basic strumming technique and learnt 3 chords. In fact we had learnt 3 chords between us as I mastered C and F but couldn't grasp G, while Debbie had the C and G mastered.

Needless to say we left the shop each carrying a ukulele. However, while we were busy learning to strum Paul was coveting a rather lovely Alto sax which, after a short test run he purchased so he didn't feel left out. I'm not doubting his skill but while Debbie and I played our Ukes in the store with an audience Paul was, after a few notes, ushered into a storeroom to try his instrument.

On more mundane matters I've replaced the gang plank and boat pole.

I'm currently at Godmanchester and planning to spend the week in the area as I'm having lunch with an old friend a Hougton on Saturday. After that I'll head back down river to Ely for a week or two before making my way back across the middle levels to Peterborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment