Wednesday 2 April 2014

The Regents Canal

The Regents Canal runs from Little Venice near Paddington along the Northern edge of Regents Park and then on through Kings Cross and Camden to meet the Thames at Limehouse Basin.  Little Venice is a pretty stretch of tree lined canal with many boats moored on both sides. 


After Little Venice the canal disappears briefly into the short (272 yd) Maida Hill tunnel after which it shortly enters Regents Park.



The canal side cottages are rather more grand in this very sought after area of the capital. There are several splendid residences on the right bank before they give way to the London Zoo.


After leaving the park the canal meanders around the north side of Kings Cross and St Pancras stations before heading to Camden lock, famed for its market.  Having visited the area often on foot, one of my favourite spots in London, I enjoyed arriving ob the water at last.


Beyond Camden the canal becomes largely urban as it is edged by large office or housing blocks which rather limit the view.  It opens up again as it passes beside Victoria Park and then quickly defends through the last of the 12 locks to arrive in the large Limehouse basin. The basin gives access to the Thames and there are several large seagoing  vessels moored in the marina.


I navigated around these with care as I wish to retain my no claims discount.  I was pleased I had made a recce visit on foot as there is no indication from the water as to where the visitor moorings are. I soon found a suitable slot and moored up for the night.  The moorings are limited to 24 hrs so I shall have to move on tomorrow. I plan to head up the Limehouse cut and explore the canal which loops around the Olympic park before joining the rivers Lee and Stort and heading up to Hertford and Bishops Stortford.


No comments:

Post a Comment