Wednesday 16 April 2014

Final days in London

On Friday I went to Notting Hill had a wander along Portobello Road and the famous market. Lovely to see all the bright colours and activity of a street market.


I popped into a small coffee shop called Talkhouse, mainly to use the loo, and found it serves some wonderful teas which are beautifully presented. My peppermint tea was excellent and came in  glass teapot with a small flask of hot water.



As a Richard Curtis fan I had to take a photo of the famous blue door from the film Notting Hill.



On Saturday morning I finally got down to some much needed painting on the hull where the blacking has been damaged over time. In the afternoon I had a visit from my friend Malcolm and after a hour or so catching up we went for a walk around Covent Garden and Chinatown - very pleasant.

On Sunday I treated myself to breakfast of eggs Benedict in Covent Garden, accompanied by a woodwind and string quartet. Very civilised, if a tad pricy. The day was spent enjoying the spring sunshine as I walked around the area, visiting Carnaby Street which sadly looks like any other street now, before walking across to the Mall to catch a bit of the marathon.  Not surprisingly the crowds were massive and all I could see was a few heads bobbing along as the taller runners passed. I then moved onto Trafalgar Square to enjoy the spring sunshine before heading back to the boat.

I've have enjoyed visiting London by boat and am already considering Wintering here as there is so much to do.  Although it might not be practical due to lack of moorings - something to think about through the summer, far too early to be thinking of next Winter.  It's now time to move on so I'm back on the Paddington Arm and will spend the next few days exploring the last few miles of the Grand Union before joining the River Thames at Brentford and enjoying the wide open spaces of the Thames valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment