Tuesday 8 April 2014

A London Tourist

So after a quiet night near Enfield I continued up the river Lee. The river winds it's way through mainly open marsh land as it continues North into Hertfordshire. I stopped for lunch in Ware and found a very good fish and chip shop which set me up for the afternoon which I spent wandering around the area before returning for another quiet night.
In the morning I headed back down stream hoping that the loop around the Olympic park would be open but sadly not.  I did meet a collection of three rowing boats waiting to come into a lock a I left. I'm not convinced this is allowed as I thought locks were reserved for powered craft.



I continued along the river towards London and decided to moor up for a few days by Bow Mills a couple of miles from Limehouse.

Three mills at Bow
I've taken the opportunity to explore the tourist attractions in the area which I've not visited before. Yesterday I climbed over the roof of the O2 dome, an amazing experience, and well worth the effort for the views. 

On top of the o2

Today I took the easier options of a ride on the Emirates Air Line cable car over the Thames followed by a trip on a Thames clipper from Greenwick back into the city disembarking at Embankment.
View of the o2 from the cable car
Tomorrow I'll visit the Greenwich observatory before taking the bust back through the Regents canal back to Paddington. I'm expecting a visit from my old mate Malcolm Harley on Saturday followed by my brother and family popping in on Tuesday on their way to Gatwick.

No comments:

Post a Comment