Friday 22 November 2013

Elton to Peterborough

I woke bright and early as usual and spent the first half hour in the familiar routine of stoking the fire, making the first coffee of the day and getting washed and dressed ready to meet what the day has to offer. By 7:30 I was pouring the second coffee and waiting for the sun to rise and lift the outside temperature above its current 2c. I set off around 8:30 through Elton lock and headed down the river towards Peterborough.

The next lock had a water point so I stopped to fill the water tank. The water pressure forced the hosepipe out of the filler cap and I instinctively tried to catch it. Unfortunately I chose to catch it between my knees with the hose pointing upwards. After a brief and very cold enema I replaced the hose in the filler and retired to the boat to change my now soaking trousers. Ironically this is the same lock I lost my chimney on my last trip.

So with a full water tank and clean trousers I leave the ill fated lock and enjoy the rest of the day trundling gently to Peterborough enjoying the late Autumn sun and golden colours.
I reached Peterborough in mid afternoon and stocked up on essential supplies and settled down for the evening. I'll head up to Ferry Meadows tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment