Thursday 21 November 2013

Oundle to Elton

After heavy rain overnight I woke to chilly overcast morning. I drove home to drop off some things I don't need on the boat any longer and pick up a couple of things I do want. I return around noon just as a heavy shower passed through. The weather cleared up by 1pm so I cast off and headed down to my next planned stop at Elton.

I enjoyed the half hour cruising through beautiful Autumn scenery on my way to the first lock at Cotterstock. The clouds were building ahead of me and were looking quite ominous by the time I stopped at the lock.
Another heavy shower arrived while operating the lock so I took the sensible option of retiring to the galley and putting the kettle on while it passed. 15 minutes later I was on my way again with a hot coffee inside me. Shortly after passing through the next lock, Perio, I was rewarded with a splendid rainbow which was one of the most vibrant I've ever seen. The photo doesn't really do it justice, there is even a faint second rainbow to the right of it.

With my heart lifted by this lovely view I carried on past Fotheringhay which has a stunning church overlooking the river and of course the mound of the old castle which was the birthplace of Richard III and where Mary Queen of Scots was incarcerated and eventually executed.

Fotheringhay Church
 

By the time I reached the next lock at Warmington, sadly not on-sea, the sun was setting behind me and reaching my overnight mooring at Elton before dark was getting a little tight.

Late afternoon at Warmington lock
 

After a further half hour I reached Elton lock and could moor up for the night just as the sun was setting across the fields. A lovely end to another fun day on the water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment