Wednesday 20 November 2013

A quick trip on the Nene

After a few weeks ashore I was beginning to pine for the gentle rocking of a boat on the water. I have caught up on a few jobs at home and felt it was time to do the same on the boat. I replaced the fridge, at great expense, and had to carry out a little woodwork to fit the new one into the galley (kitchen). Then had a few mundane jobs to do: sealing a joint in the cratch, sealing the chimney joint, cleaning the engine room and sorting a minor water leak (from the engine not the hull).

Having completed a few jobs I decided to take her out on the river as it's a dry day.
After stocking up on food and coal I slipped the mooring at around noon and set off down the Nene to the first lock only a couple of hundred yards from the marina.

Lower Barnwell Lock

Although it's dry there is still a chilly wind and as mooring spots are a bit few and far between I decided to moor up early and spend the night just below the A605 bridge on the outskirts of Oundle.  The next mooring spot is Elton which I would struggle to reach before sunset.

Mooring for the evening
Not sure yet how long I'll stay out as I don't want to get trapped like last year. Will have to play it day by day.



No comments:

Post a Comment