Sunday 30 June 2013

Wellingborough to Northampton

My final day on the Nene was spent cruising from Wellingborough, where I filled the water tank and topped up food supplies at the nearby Tesco.  Wellingborough provides good visitor mooring alongside a pretty park. Unfortunately on the opposite bank, behind the trees on the right, is a large bakery which runs all nightlong as I found on my journey home in March.

Leaving the Wellingborough visitor moorings
The river continues to wind its way through some beautiful countryside before broadening as it approaches Northampton.


On joining the last stretch of river I found the whole river covered in thick weed. Even in the clear channel the weed is just below the surface. It's amazingly tough stuff and wraps around the propeller slowing progress to a virtual standstill.  I had to stop several times to clear the prop before finally reaching Northampton and the calmer waters of the canal.

Weed Weed and more weed






No comments:

Post a Comment