Monday 1 July 2013

Northampton to Norton Junction

Monday morning was not welcome as I knew I had the joys of 16 locks before lunch. As the canal leaves Northampton it meanders for around 3 miles rising slightly through the first 4 locks of the flight and then you reach the flight proper with the remaining 12 locks facing you one after the other.

Lock 10, only another 9 to go
The funny thing is that you soon get into a rhythm with a flight like this. Enter the lock and begin filing. When the lock is almost full and you're sure the boat is ok walk up to the open the gate on the next lock. Then exit the lock, closing the gate on your way out and move the boat into the next lock. Although this involves a bit of walking between locks, and I do need the exercise, it saves much time and effort being able to move the boat from lock to lock without stopping in between.  Having cast off at 8 in the morning I left the top lock a little after 12 which was not bad going.  I then trundled up the last mile of the Northampton Arm and joined the main Grand Union canal. Another hours gentle cruising saw the welcoming sight of the Bugbrooke Wharfe pub.  A short break was called far during which I refuelled with a rather pleasant plate of Ham and Eggs. Very tasty and just what I needed.

I continued up the canal planning to stop overnight below the next flight of 7 locks. Particularly as these are wide locks and are a pain singlehanded. However, as I reached the moorings below the flight a couple were just setting off up the flight and asked if I wanted to share the locks. I had planned to do just that in the morning but not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I joined them in the first lock.  After the first lock he asked if I would be happy breasting up - which is to say tying the boats together allowing one man to move the pair freeing the other to work the locks. Having not tried this before I quickly agreed and left him to manage the boats while I worked the locks with his wife.

Breasted up with Marsh Warbler in a lock
 I should add that the gentlemen had over 30 years experience on the water and clearly knew what he was doing. In most cases he managed to slip the pair into the lock without touching the sides at all. An achievement I often fail with just one boat.

And moving the pair between locks.
On reaching the top of the flight I moored up having done 23 locks since breakfast. After 3 long days I had planned a rest day for Tuesday as my friend Pete Billings was heading south and we had agreed to meet up for at Norton Junction for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment