Wednesday 3 July 2013

Norton Junction to Rugby

I really am getting lax at writing this blog but be honest it's been so hot I just couldn't be bothered. Time to man up and get something written. After arriving at Norton Junction on Monday evening I had a rest day on Tuesday waiting for my old friend Pete Billings who was heading down the canal and we had agreed to meet up here for dinner in the New Inn.  I got a call from Pete shortly after lunch to sat he had cleared Braunston tunnel which meant he was only a couple of miles away. I walked along the towpath to meet him and jumped aboard for the trip down to the mooring.

Mr Bunbury and Pete's boat Hyperion nose to nose
We spent a quiet afternoon comparing notes on the jobs we had done and those we had to do on the boats and took Pete's dog Newfie for a walk along the towpath before retiring to the pub for dinner. As we were both looking to head off in the morning the post dinner nightcap comprised only 4 or 5 small malts.

On the Wednesday morning Pete headed off south while I headed north through Braunston to Rugby. Braunston was still busy, there had been a historic boat rally over the weekend and many of the boats were still there.  Here's a couple of photos I took as I passed through. There are old working boats which were used to carry cargo. The majority of the boat length is for cargo, with the canvas covers, while the family who worked the boat lived in the small back cabin.




After Braunston I moved onto the Oxford canal and had a pleasant meander through open coutryside before stopping at Rugby for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment