Saturday 4 October 2014

Back Afloat

After a very enjoyable break on the Isle of Man I arrived back in Peterborough on Monday after a short flight to Liverpool and a long train journey. I had booked a small hire car for a couple of days but when I arrived I was given an Insignia estate which was only marginally shorter than the boat. Surprisingly, while it has such wonderful gadgets as rain sensing wipers, cruise control and automatic headlamps (which come on as you pass under bridges) it does not have parking sensors which seemed a major oversight in such a long car. Hopefully next time I book a small car I'll get one. After a couple of days rushing around sorting g out things for the house and boat I finally eased the good ship Bunbury out onto the river late on a beautifully sunny Wednesday morning and had an uneventful run up river to Irthlingborough where I stopped for the night. On Thursday I completed the remaining 18 miles and 16 locks to reach Northampton where the river joins the Grand Union canal.

I decided a rest day was in order and on Friday took the train to see the poppies at the Tower of London. The installation is impressive and although not yet complete still left one awestruck at just how big a number 800,000 is. I've bought one of the poppies but I'm not sure which one is mine.

As rain is forecast for today (Saturday) I stayed put and will move off tomorrow to tackle the 17 lock climb up to the GU canal.

On a medical note I managed to stick a large splinter of wood under my thumb nail yesterday and it is proving very painful when touched so the locks could be a challenge. I think I may lose the nail but I understand they normally grow back.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment