Monday 10 March 2014

Oundle to Northampton

The river was re-opened on Sunday morning so not wishing to miss the opportunity to get off the river I made a quick trip into town to grab a few essentials before heading off around 10:30 in glorious sunshine.

Leaving the Marina 

The river was still flowing reasonably quickly which slowed progress as I was heading upstream. It felt good to be on the move again as I start my new adventure as a live aboard boater of no fixed abode.  The day was stupidly hot for march and I was wearing a T-Shirt and I'm sure my forehead caught the sun.
Glorious spring morning

After 16 miles and 10 locks I moored up for the night at Irthlingborough moorings which are alongside the now defunct Rushden  and Diamonds football club. A lovely peaceful spot in the open countryside.

Monday morning arrived with a change in the weather. Overcast and quite chilly.  I set off around 8am with the temperature still around 4 or 5c. After the T-shirt yesterday I was now wearing a long sleeved shirt, jumper and coat. I also remembered to fill the flask which my son Simon bought me for Christmas. This proved very useful as I the small cup is around a third of a normal mug which means I can drink it before it goes cold which is what usually happens if I fill a full size mug.
View of Mooring and flask

The day saw me meandering through the Northamptonshire countryside where the first signs of spring could be seen. A few lambs in the fields, clusters of daffodils on the banks and a hint of green on some of the trees.

I passed this rather unusual colour scheme. While not in the narrowboat tradition, it is never-the-less a beautifully decorated boat which somebody has probably spent a lot of time and money personalising.

Somebody likes that film

 As the day drew to close I reached Northampton and the final lock of the day, taking me from the river Nene onto the Northampton Arm of Grand Union canal just as the sun was setting over the canal which looked to be aflame.

Sunset over Northampton
 Another long hard day at the helm with 18 miles and 17 locks completed I'm now ready for a long hot shower.  Tomorrow I have the 16 locks of the Northampton flight but thankfully I have an offer of help from a local chap who enjoys working the locks so that's a bonus.

Life afloat is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment