Monday 31 March 2014

London in my sights

On Saturday I left Berkhamsted and headed south through Hemel Hempstead and stopped near Watford in a quiet, wooded area at Cassiobury park. It had been a hard day and although I only covered 10 miles I did pass through 25 locks and my knees where definitely feeling the strain of all those ladders.

Farewell Berkhamsted

This stretch of canal is mainly through open countryside and passes through Grove Park which sports a particularly impressive bridge. The Earl of Essex insisted that the bridge complement the existing architecture as a condition of allowing the canal to cross his land.

Grove Park Bridge
After a quiet night I continued in similar scenery on Sunday, stopping in Batchworth for supplies and a late breakfast/early lunch - I blame BST.  It was a frustrating trip as on each lock the bottom gates had been left open by the previous boat creating extra work.  There are a few inconsiderate boaters who only think of themselves.  Progress was slow as there are many on-line moorings in this stretch which means travelling even slower so as not to rock them too much.  After lunch I continued a further couple of hours before mooring up by Denham country park and spent the afternoon enjoying the warm sunny weather.  


No comments:

Post a Comment