Wednesday 28 March 2018

Journey's End

So after 6 wonderful years afloat touring the UK waterways the adventure finally comes to an end.  I've covered the majority of the UK canal and river network from Ripon in the north to Guilford in the south.  Llangollen in the west and the East Anglian rivers in the east.  I've made new friends, met up with old friends and seen so many varied and beautiful hidden views of our green and pleasant land.

A few statistics to finish with:

9,475 miles or 3 times across the Atlantic. 

5,520 locks - at an average of 5' that's a total of 27,600'. Given that what goes up must come down that's equates to lifting and then lowering the boat some 13,800' using only water.  Only a little short of taking it up Mont Blanc and back. I have also climbed that distance on lock ladders - no wonder my knees ache.

4,815 hrs spent stood at the tiller. That's 200 days !

7,000 litres of diesel 


And a big thank you to my brother Dave who has helped me move the boat back to Braunston and prepare her for sale. Couldn't have done it without you.


A final photo of my beloved Mr Bunbury back on the dock at Braunston where we first met.


2 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed reading your blog over the last few years Martin. Quite some achievement. We are also having a change as No 30 went on the market this week, time for a new chapter before we get too far gone. All the best to you, Max and Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Max,
      Good to hear from you and wish you and Jane all the best for the future. I’m planning on buying a Motorhome once the boat sells so I’ll continue my travels on 4 wheels.

      Delete