Sunday 12 November 2017

Lincoln City

Following a quiet night at Torksey I enjoyed a gentle 10 mile trundle along the Fossdyke navigation  to Lincoln yesterday.  Looking back at Torksey lock the steam from the power station cooling towers dominate the morning sky.



The Fossdyke navigation, is one of the oldest manmade waterways, originally having been built by the Romans to connect the river Trent to the river Witham in Lincoln.  From Lincoln the Witham flows through Boston and into the Wash providing a valuable trade link to the North Sea. The Romans built their canals much like their roads - straight.



I'm currently moored on the outskirts of the City and tomorrow I will take the boat into the city, through the famous Glory Hole and moor up just beyond the main shopping centre.


Amongst other claims to fame Lincoln is the home of the military tank which were developed and built by  Wm Foster & Co.  This memorial stands proud on a city centre roundabout and it seemed appropriate to visit on Remembrance Day.


Today I tested my electric bike with a ride up the aptly names Steep Hill which leads up to the Cathedral and Castle. The bike did me proud an I was able to reach the summit still seated.

I shall have another trip up the hill while I'm here to visit the castle which is home to one of the original copies of the Magna Carta.  Original copy may seem an oxymoron but when the original was signed several copies were made my scribes and taken around the country, mainly to castles and cathedrals.  Lincoln is proud to have one the only four remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment