Tuesday 6 June 2017

The Thames - Oxford to Windsor

Well I'm very remiss in not updating the blog for over a month. In my defence the first two weeks I spent moored in Milton Keynes catching up with an old friend and doing a few maintenance jobs.  After that I headed back up the Grand Union to Braunston and then followed the Oxford canal to Oxford to join the mighty Thames.  I've covered this route before so didn't want to repeat myself although I will share a shot of my favourite lock cottage at Sommerton deep lock.


Rather than following the canal the last couple of miles into Oxford I joined the Thames via a short link canal called the Dukes Cut.  This joins the river above Kings lock and the river very quickly opens into a wide valley on the approach to Oxford.  The dreaming spires can just be seen on the horizon above the paddling horses - it was a very hot day.


On reaching the city the river splits into several streams and the main navigation wends it's way through around the city passing the well known pub "The Head of the River".


Below here the river opens into a wide straight length where the many Oxford collage boat houses are located and where, when I arrived, the annual "Bumps" races were taking place.  While I could have pushed through quickly between races I took the opportunity to moor for a few hours and watch the racing.  At around 62 ft a rowing 8 is longer than my boat.



Once the racing was over I continued a few miles down stream and moored just outside the city before heading down to Abingdon the following day. The sunset over a footbridge was particularly peaceful.


Abingdon offers some of the best visitor moorings on the river.  Firstly they are free, always welcome, and are alongside a beautiful open park only a short walk from the town.  I spent a few days here visiting the old town and enjoying the rest after a few days at the tiller.


 I spent the last weekend cruising gently down the river through Goring and Pangbourne before stopping at a quiet spot above Henley-on Thames.

The next day I found a space in Henley and, after handing over my £10 mooring fee, explored the town.  Moving on I passed through Marlow before mooring in a pretty reach called Cliveden Deep.  The mooring offered a splendid view up river to Cliveden House, once home to Lord Astor and of course the place where the infamous Profumo affair began.  



On route I passed this lovely steam launch, complete with serenading guitarist on the stern.


Yesterday, having seen heavy rain and wind was forecast for a few days I cruised the few miles to Windsor where I know there are good moorings and so here I am safely tucked behind an island sheltered from the main river.  Unfortunately not sheltered from the rain and gale force winds but they will soon pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment