Monday 19 September 2016

Leicester, Nottingham, Newark and Lincoln

The past week or so has seen me making my way north from Market Harborough along the river Soar through Leicester and Loughborough to join the mighty river Trent and continue up to Newark before entering the tidal section for 20 miles and turning off onto the Fossdyke Navigation to visit the city of Lincoln for the first time.

As the Leicester Line of the Grand Union canal get closer to Leicester it merges occasionally with the river Soar until just before the city when the canal ends and the river is thereafter navigable to it's junction with the Soar.  The route up to Leicester is largely tree lined and passes through open countryside very similar to the Nene.





The approach to Leicester is signalled by an impressively large weir which I stayed well clear of as I approached the last lock before reaching the city.  I was a little concerned when I notices a group of young lads around the lock as Leicester has a poor reputation within the boating world and indeed the city has provided a couple of secure moorings to encourage boats to stop.  Thankfully my fears were misplaced and the lads were only too happy to help with the lock.


The approach into Leicester from the south is pleasant with a couple of impressive bridges.

I spent the next morning exploring the city with it's cathedral and large market.  While I had not had any problems overnight the mooring was a little noisy due to a busy road nearby and I decided to move off in the afternoon to find a quieter spot.


The journey out of Leicester was not pleasant as the two locks I passed through were strewn with empty beer cans and fast food packages and one had a large group of men just sitting drinking. Whilst they did not bother me it is a shame that the canals are becoming the gathering places for anti-social behaviour.  However, once through that short section the river once again opened up to wide country vistas and I moored up for the night in a lovely peaceful spot.


The following day I continued a few more miles to Loughborough where the old canal basin has been enhanced with good visitors moorings very handy for the town centre. 


After Loughborough the river continues to wend it way northwards until it joins the river Trent which I then followed to Nottingham before heading on to the lovely market town of Newark. The approach by river is impressive and the view dominated by the castle. Unfortunately little is left of the castle beyond the riverside wall but there are pleasant gardens to stroll through.  The town itself retains its large market square and many old building which give it an air of history.


I left Newark the next afternoon and moored up above Cromwell lock, the beginning of the tidal Trent, to await the high tide the following morning and thus head down the river with the flow rather than against it.  The river was becoming noticeably wider by this point.


The trip down the Trent to Torksey was uneventful and with a wide river passing oncoming boats is much easier.



I arrived in Lincoln on Saturday and have spent couple of enjoyable days exploring the city.  There is a significant climb up the aptly names street "Steep Hill" to the cathedral and castle.  I did not visit the cathedral as they were charging a £10 entrance fee and I refuse to pay to enter any church.


The moorings are very handy for the city and make an ideal base for exploring.




No comments:

Post a Comment