Saturday 30 April 2016

Canal Cavalcade - Little Venice and farewell to London

Time has flown and I can hardly believe it's almost 2 months since I arrived in Little Venice in the heart of London.  After spending much of the first month exploring the Regents Canal between Paddington and Limehouse I then headed off up the rivers Lee and Stort which provided a welcome peace after the hustle and bustle of the capital.  Finding mooring a visitor mooring in central London is difficult as there are so many people choosing a boat as an affordable home.  However, I've been luck in that by and large I've managed to find a spot where I wanted with one or two exceptions.

I returned to Paddington on Thursday forgetting that there was a Cana Cavalcade planned for Little Venice over the Bank Holiday weekend and that many visitor moorings had been reserved for the boats taking part.  I was therefore very lucky to slot Mr Bunbury into the only free mooring available.   
I was planning to leave London next week but I have decided to move on tomorrow to leave a space for a fellow boater.

Today I enjoyed the cavalcade very much with many older boats on parade in fine fettle having been polished and decorated by their lucky owners.  Here are a few photos of the day.

Roger an old working boat restored to stunning condition.

An old boat converted and operated by a charity to provide trips for people with disability 

The view across the pool.


A more modern boat operated by the Pirate Castle - a children's activity centre based on the Regents canal

View inside the traditional boat cabin

Fellows, Morton and Clayton - The Eddie Stobart of their day 

And one of their competitors being buffed to perfection

No comments:

Post a Comment